Wednesday, July 08, 2009

I'm Sooo Phisticated

It's pretty well known that I've spent the last year attempting to "grow up." It's been a struggle at times. I still have "college" tendencies and I can tend to be pretty lazy. For instance, I have lived in my apartment for about 10 months and I have cooked dinner for myself under 5 times (not counting sandwiches and cereal). So, I recently made a pledge to myself that I would start doing more things for myself.

Last night was a step in the right direction.

I have been acquiring cooking gadgets since I got my own apartment and for the most part they have been rarely used. Still, there was always one gadget that stirred my interest...the Big City Slider Station.
Yup I have one and I had never used it...until last night.

So in honor of the late Billy Mays, I decided it was time for me to try this bad boy out. My expectations were low, but my spirits were high and as it turned out...the Big City Slider Station is a cool little gadget. I was able to fix myself a pretty decent meal in about 15 minutes. I also made Shells and Cheese to accompany the sliders which were dressed with either sharp cheddar or pepper jack cheese and topped with BBQ sauce.

Now to you guys this may seem like a pretty lame event...but it was huge for me. Do you know how many times I thought about using the Slider Station only to opt for Qdoba or cereal? Better yet, do you know how many times I thought to myself YESTERDAY, "Eh, I'll just make a bologna sandwich?" Well the answer to both is...a lot.

But I didn't give in this time, I came through and as a result not only did I have delicious mini burgers...I also moved up a tiny step on the "Grow up scale."

Now, in addition to my cooking excellence, I also completed another feat that I thought impossible. I changed the rest of my guitar strings...by myself. Sure I still need a new peg for my B string, but instead of taking my guitar back to the shop and saying, "Can you just fix this for me? I don't know how to do it." I decided I could just fix it myself. So now I have five new strings, all in tune and I'll get a peg after work to finish it off.

It's always easier to let someone else fix the problem...but I don't depend on myself enough...but now...well now I'm putting out fires all over the place.

Lookout planet earth, Brian's showing signs of being a responsible human being after all. Woo!

Song of the Day: John Prine - Illegal Smile
Beer of the Day: Left Hand - Black Jack Porter

No comments: