Monday, May 11, 2009

All The Small Things

I noticed recently that my daily mood is often affected by tiny, insignificant things. It could be something that puts me in a good mood, like getting 11 chicken McNuggets in a 10 piece order (Boomshakalaka!). Or it could easily be something that angers me and puts me in a bad mood, like entering a store and hearing Nickleback.

While these little things may put me in a good or bad mood...it's never a sustained feeling...it's always like a 3 minute party/depression. Regardless, I still enjoy figuring out these little things and making note of them so I can enjoy the good ones more in the future while trying to ignore the bad ones.

Anyway, recently I noticed two tiny things (one good, one bad) that effect my mood.

The thing that brings me joy...
Roundabouts

That's right, screw you 4-way stop, I prefer the merry-go-round route. I've always enjoyed roundabouts, but it wasn't until I was driving round and round the traffic circle near my apartment the other day that I realized...these things are awesome! It's like you get to go for a little joy ride in the middle of your commute. I often find myself going around an extra time on my neighborhood roundabout just because I can...I also find myself lettin' loose a little, "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" when I do it as well, it makes me feel like a kid again. I mean stop lights and 4-way stops are everywhere and how boring are those? I mean you just pull up and turn...they're lame. So for me I'm going to enjoy my future rides on the roundabout highway and I suggest you let the kid in you take the wheel and do the same.


Now for the thing that makes me a bit sadder everytime I see one:
Motion activated paper towel dispensers

Seriously, who thought this was a good idea? I mean clearly people are just so lazy today that they can't even be bothered to pull down on a lever for a paper towel. No no, we'll make everything easier for them by making them just wave at the machine. Ugh. Perhaps if these things actually worked I'd be impressed, but as it is...I'm sick of waving at papertowel machines for 30 seconds while the guy entering the bathroom looks at me as if I'm a moron. I mean should I wave up or down? Left to right or right to left? Does it even matter? Maybe I'm just supposed to break it down a bit and give a little Harlem Shake...hell, I don't know. What I do know is that I hate them. I never ever thought that they could come up with a hand drying system worse then the ol' silver blow dryer. But they did and it makes me want to cry.


Well there you go gang, two things that ruin/brighten my day. Like I said the feeling that I get after encountering these two things only lasts a few minutes...but oh how enjoyable those minutes are after I get through with my roundabout ride.

Have a good Monday kiddos.

Song of the Day: Dion - The Wanderer
Beer of the Day: BBC - Altbier

No comments: