Thursday, May 07, 2009

Boombozz Taphouse

Lautaro and I finally made our way up to Boombozz taphouse last night and after much anticipation all I can say is...

It BoomBlows!!!

I know I built it up so much that it was pretty much impossible to live up to expectations...but I would give it a 3 out of 10.

First of all, their beer list is big...but not exciting. They have a good deal of imports and craft brews, but it's all just Goose Island Honker's Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Guinness, Magic Hat #9, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I like all of those beers...but when you have the name "Taphouse" I just expected a more unique list.

In addition to the crummy beer list they had two sizes of beer a 16oz or a 23oz. I asked the server what the price difference was (she didn't know, but checked) and she informed me that my 16oz beer was $3.95 but a 23oz glass would cost me $6.95. What the what? That's 3/4 the price for less than 1/2 more beer. Also their happy hour deals include only well drinks and draft domestics...sweet move "taphouse"

In addition to the crummy beer situation the service was lousy and the ambiance was non existent. The Pizza was good, but it was just like regular Tony Boombozz and it's more expensive then it used to be.

Now then, while all of this stuff took away from my dining experience the one thing that ruined it the most was the music. It's friggin' Bardstown road, Ear X-Tacy (the center of music hipness in the entire state of Kentucky) is 100 yards away....so what selection of music do they go with??? 70s and 80s disco and R&B. Also they were clearly trying to make a statement with the tunes because it was pretty loud.

Ugh, I don't mean to whine and complain...I'm just disappointed. So much potential, such a good idea...such terrible execution. Oh well, at least we have Cumberland Brews...even if we have to deal with the hippies.

On a side note, I'm also bummed out because my guitar lesson got canceled today. But, I found these bad-ass videos of my teacher, Craig, so I decided to share them with you guys to lighten the mood.

Here are some short clips of him playing a few different things:


This is his rendition of "Billie Jean" it's f'ing awesome...he's sick.



One last note, the Scrubs finale last night....Freakin' Phenomenal. I literally thought I was going to cry...it was just perfect.

Have a great Thursday everyone, I'm off to help defend our Trivia crown in a bit!

Song of the Day: Peter Gabriel - The Book of Love
Beer of the Day: Great Divide - Samurai Ale

2 comments:

erin (mcmurtrie) stagner said...

i just had to thank you for the song of the day. it was our wedding song ... as much as you can have a wedding song on an island in the middle of the pacific with nothing to play it on. well, we listened to it on the way there. and on the way home. :)

also, love your blog.

also, go cavs!

Anonymous said...

Brian,

Sorry you did not like Taphouse, The Music that day was set on wrong station, our list is usually classic rock. We priced our beer based same or less then other restaurants in the neighborhood, no excuse for service though. I would like to make it up to you. if you send your address, I will send you dinner on me. Again i apologize for letting you down.

Best,

Tony Palombino,
Founder