Thursday, May 14, 2009

Oldies but Goodies

Last night I was sitting out on the porch with Lautaro and I was working on a music mix for the porch. Basically how I do this is by going through all of my music and picking any song that I would like to hear while sitting on the porch. I have like 30 gigs of music on my computer so it takes a fairly long time. However, the best part about this whole process (which I do every couple of months) is that I get to find albums that I had forgotten about and haven't listened to in a long time. Last night I came across 3 albums that are all about 5 years old and each one is a great album. So today, while I listen to these great albums and reminisce on my life 5 or so years ago...I thought I'd share them with you.

1.) Guster - Keep It Together
Guster is a band that will always remind me of high school. I really got into them on their earlier albums with songs such as "Fa Fa", "Demons" and "Barrel of a Gun" but this album is probably my favorite of theirs. It will always remind me of riding in my Jeep Wrangler with the top down on my way to and from Farmington. Good times.

Favorite songs on the album: "Keep it Together" and "Home Coming King"


2.) The Killers - Hot Fuss
I am amazed that my copy of this CD still works because there is no telling how many times I've listened to it. I remember hearing "Somebody Told Me" somewhere and loving the sound and energy that came with it. The next week Target had this CD on sale for $6.99. I bought it hoping to like 2 or 3 songs in order to get my 7 bucks worth, but as soon as I put it in I was blown away. From "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine" to "Everything Will Be Alright" I love this album. The Killers are still a solid band in my opinion and their follow up "Sam's Town" is a great album as well. But, I'll always have a special place in my musical life for this $6.99 gem.

Favorite songs on the album: "Smile Like You Mean It" and "All These Things That I've Done"


3.) Jet - Get Born
How's your face? Melted? I love Jet. When I bought this album I was in a very Death Cab for Cutie like indie rock stage of my music loving life and I needed something different. Now don't get me wrong, I love Death Cab and all of that Indie heavy hipster stuff...but nothing will ever sound as good to my ears as blaring loud Rock music. We all know "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" and it's a great song. However, if you've never heard any other Jet song you are really missing out. I heard this CD on a listening stand at Ear X-Tacy and it took me about 30 seconds before I knew I would buy it. From "Rollover DJ" to "Look What You've Done" this album hits in all the right places. The fast songs are loud the slow songs are soft...it's easy, it makes sense...it's a helluva record. Also, "Cold Hard B***H" is one of my top 10 songs of this decade. Thank goodness for Rock music.

Favorite songs on the album: "Cold Hard B***H" and "Move On"


Have a great Thursday and don't forget the season finales of The Office and 30 Rock tonight.

Song of the Day: Bob Seger - Old Time Rock and Roll
Beer of the Day: Guinness

1 comment:

musicmania1969 said...

You know - I've never heard that Guster Album. You are right on with the Killers and Jet!