Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Classroom Pet Peeve...

As you guys know I have many pet peeves. However, last night during my stats class someone did something that reminded me of a pet peeve that I've always had but haven't experienced since I've been out of school.

So my class runs from 4:30 to 7:00. I arrived at 4:20 and sat in my assigned seat. Luckily, there is an empty chair next to where I sit so I can put my back pack and coat on that chair. However, it is by the door. What does it matter if it's by the door? I'll tell you in a second. About an hour and 15 mins into class (half way) our teacher is trying his damnedest to teach us standard deviation and probability. It's not the easiest thing to learn, but he was doing a pretty good job. However, that's when this chick comes storming into class, making tons of noise and of course wants to sit in the seat next to me...even though that's not her seat. No problem, I'll move my bag...we'll get on with class...right?

Wrong.

This is where I start to get pissed off. The chick has already disrupted the flow of class and now she keeps asking me questions about what was going on. Then, she tries to tell me why she was late, while the teacher is talking. She says a meeting ran long. Really? An hour and 15 mins long? Whatever, I don't really care. Here's the real kicker...She then asks if she can copy my notes. I reply, "We'll figure something out after class...I need my notebook for other classes." She replies, "No, I meant right now...do you mind?" Hell yes I mind! I'm here to learn. I communicate to her that it's fine, but I'm not going to turn the page back because I still need to take notes (since the professor is still teaching). Naturally, she then asks another girl for a piece of paper because she didn't have her notebook...causing more disruption.

I mean really? First of all, if you are more then about 30mins late to class...why come at all? He doesn't count attendance and clearly you're going to be lost. Why not arrange to meet with him later to discuss what you've missed. Also, way to plan a head to realize that you had class and a meeting before hand and I don't know...maybe you should bring your notebook with you to your meeting in case you're running late. Finally, why in the hell do you expect me to stop paying attention to the teacher and spend the rest of the class catching you up on what you missed? Let me tell you something...I'm not going to do it.

I can't stand people like that. Yeah, sometimes stuff happens and you're forced to deal...but how about being a little bit responsible and not disrupting everyone around you. I know that chick had other stuff going on and maybe it was really out of her control...but I bet it wasn't. Thing is, I would have been happy to share my notes if she had asked after class and not been so inconsiderate.

It's the same as when someone asks for an extension on a paper. I can't stand that. Mr. Professor I'm not finished because my dog got sick and I had 3 other assignments for other classes and the book I ordered hasn't come in yet....can I have an extension? Ummm...NO! Guess what people, everyone has other crap going on in their lives. You know how you deal with that? It's called time management and organization. Everyone knows when class is...everyone knows when things are do...mark those things down and adjust your life accordingly.

Now, I know there really are times when you have to be late or you have to turn in a paper late (Death in the family, illness, etc.) But let's be real...that's only true about 1 out of every 25 situations like this one.

It's not hard, just be responsible. If you can't...it's really not my problem.


Sorry for the rant, I'm really not in a bad mood...that was just bothering me. Have a good one everybody!

Song of the Day: Fruit Bats - The Ruminant Band

No comments: