Thursday, February 04, 2010

Work update...

So this week I began my unpaid internship at the UofL athletic department. I'm working in the marketing department and my first task is to help market the upcoming softball and lacrosse seasons.

So far my work has been minimal but it's going to change soon.

Yesterday, I went to my first "pitch/brain storming" meeting. It was pretty cool, it made me feel a lot like Don Draper...except they don't let me drink on the job. Still, we came up with some promotions and thought of people that could throw out the first pitch at softball games, etc. I contributed a few ideas and I feel like I didn't do anything to embarrass myself too badly.

Today I got to help with the Lacrosse promo video shoot and then I went to another meeting, this one was with the people in charge of sponsorships.

It's pretty cool to see how much goes into running an Athletic Department. I'm really enjoying being able to get some experience and my work in the near future will have to do with getting people to come to games and making sure game day activities run smoothly.

Hopefully, I can earn my keep and they'll offer me a real job in the future.

For now I've just taken to the Tobias Funke way of creating a name for myself...which means I just stand around the water cooler and say, "That Brian is some kind of something. Boy, this Brian guy is all anybody's ever talking about. So sick and tired of hearing about how brilliant that Brian is. Overrated. "

I think it's working.

Enjoy your Thursday's people.

Song of the Day: The Very Best - Warm Heart of Africa

No comments: