Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fun at Freedom Hall...

Last night was the third to last game in Freedom Hall for the Cardinals. It was also one of the most awesome games I've attended.

I got a ticket late in the day from Taylor's mom and headed out to the game with Taylor's dad. I was already pumped since I wasn't expecting to go.

When I got to my seat, I was locked in and ready for the game, then this guy came in and sat down right in front of me. It was Patrick Hallahan, the drummer from My Morning Jacket.

The weird thing about Patrick Hallahan is that my family knows his family (we all went to the same school), in fact, the house I grew up in was lived in by the Hallahan's before us. But, this guy is a world famous rock star, so I was sure he'd have no idea who I was.

The game got going and the Cards never could quite pull away from the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame. We played alright, but ND always had an answer.

Soon Jim, Taylor's dad, recognized Patrick and said, "you're in My Morning Jacket, right?" Patrick then introduced himself to us and when I told him my name, he was like, "You went to St. Martha, right?" I told him yes and he immediately said, "yeah you guys bought our old house!"

He then asked how my brother, Ben, was and how the rest of my family was doing. I was careful not to geek out.

At halftime I struck up a hilarious and awesome conversation with him on what the band was doing and when they started their next tour. Patrick was super nice and kept saying how anxious he was to get back on tour with MMJ and get back in the studio. It was a very cool conversation.

The best part of the whole night was the fact that as the 2nd half went on and the game got really exciting, Patrick started giving us high-fives, cheers-ing us with his beer and yelling at the refs...just like me. It always blows my mind to see somewhat famous people do regular things, but this was a new kind of crazy. I mean this guy is legitimately a rock star, a damn good one, and he was just enjoying the game the same way I was.

The game ended up going into double ot before the Cards pulled it out by 2 points. Samardo Samuels was an absolute animal, scoring 36 points for the Cards.

It was one of my final games in Freedom Hall and with 20ish years of experiencing Cardinal games in the hall, it was a pretty great memory.

I mean for real, I just watched an awesome UofL game in Freedom hall while, cheering, high-fiving and cheers-ing beers with the drummer of my favorite band. It was awesome to say the least.

Also, I got coupons for free meals at Qdoba.

What a night!

Song of the Day: My Morning Jacket - Anytime

No comments: