Friday, February 19, 2010

Saving Ear X-Tacy...

As I mentioned before, the best record store in the world, Ear X-Tacy, announced they were having trouble with business and they might have to close. Well, that's simply not ok with me. So...I went and did what any normal music fan with no money would do...I bought some new tunes. Often, I buy an album and I later regret the purchase or wish I would have bought something else. This week I got 5 albums that I'm totally stoked to own. Here's what I've purchased this week.

1.) Sam Cooke - Portrait of a Legend
I've always listed Otis Redding, Paul McCartney, Jim James and Van Morrison as my favorite "voices" of all time. But in reality, Sam Cooke is my favorite. I've been wanting to buy this album forever and I figured now was the time. It's just fantastic.

Favorite Tracks: You Send Me, Bring It On Home To Me, Touch The Hem of His Garment


2.) Ben Sollee & Daniel Martin Moore - Dear Companion
This as an album by two Kentuckians, produced by another Kentuckian (Jim James) to benefit Mountain Top Removal. I love Ben Sollee and I had heard a bit of Daniel Martin Moore and I really liked what I had heard. The two of them sound great together. It's a great album.

Favorite Tracks: Dear Companion, Needn't Say A Thing, Something Somewhere Sometime

3.) Preservation Hall Jazz Band - Preservation
The world famous Preservation Hall Jazz Band teamed up with some big name singers to produce this album to benefit Preservation Hall. This is probably my favorite album I bought this week and I got 5 great albums. Each song is so good and their collaborations are so different with each singer. It gets better with every listen.

Favorite Tracks: Tootie Ma Is A Big Fine Thing (w/ Tom Waits), Louisiana Fairytale (w/ Yim Yames), Freight Train (w/ Ani Difranco), Nobody Knows When You're Down And Out (w/ Jason Isbell)

4.) The Flying Burrito Bros. - The Gilded Palace of Sin & Burrito Deluxe
A few years ago I wouldn't have touched this album, but as I get older...my tastes get twangier. I picked this up on a whim and I'm glad I did. While it's probably my least favorite album that I bought this week, it's still good. Gram Parsons is wonderful.

Favorite Songs: Sin City, Hot Burrito #1, Hot Burrito #2

5.) Frank Sinatra - Nothing But The Best
When I got my new computer I had to switch over all 7,956 songs in my i-Tunes library. The most surprising and disappointing thing that I noticed was not the fact that I had 2 Chingy songs in my music...but that, with the exception of Christmas songs, I only had four Frank Sinatra songs. That had to change. I headed to Ear X-Tacy and picked up this album. It's true to it's name and everyone should own a good dose of Sinatra.

Favorite Songs: Come Fly With Me, The Way You Look Tonight, Summer Wind, The Best Is Yet To Come.


I shouldn't have spent the money I did on these CDs, I know that. But, I had to. While I may have to eat Bologna for my next few meals to make up for it, I had to do my part to keep Ear X-Tacy open. I'm going to want buy music in the future and I don't want to do it on i-Tunes and I don't want to order it online. I want to buy my music at Ear X-Tacy. If you've never been to the store, you really should stop in next time you're in Louisville. It's a wonderful place and it has definitely helped my love of music.

Have a great weekend.

Song of the Day: Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come

No comments: