Thursday, April 16, 2009

Top 5: Bands (Current)

So after yesterdays post I've decided that "Top 5" will be a normal segment on here from now on. Top 5 lists are always fun for me because they're always changing. The top 2 or 3 are usually pretty permanent...but those last few spots are always up for grabs.

Anyway, here are my top 5 favorite current bands, meaning no Beatles, Stones, etc.

5.) Dr. Dog
This band is great, I just got another one of their albums the other day (We All Belong) and it's very good. They have a unique sound and they have two lead singers so there is a lot of variety in their music as well. Check out there songs, "Hang On" and "Ain't It Strange"

4.) The Black Keys
Two guys, one guitar, one drum set...one awesome band. They're like the White Stripes...but dirtier and better...and I really like the White Stripes. Check out, "Grow So Ugly" and "I Got Mine".

3.) Wilco
Wilco would have been number 2 on this list until recently and they haven't done anything to lose that spot...the Avett's just earned it. They have a large catalog and there is a lot of different sounds on their albums. Their live album "Kicking Television" is great. My favorite songs: "Jesus, etc." and "Late Greats"

2.) The Avett Brothers
Two bearded brothers playing some bluegrassy-rock with a guitar and a banjo. My favorite thing about their music is their harmonies and their lyrics. The harmonies remind me of the Beatles and make the songs easy to sing along to. The Lyrics are as perfect and meaningful as any band out there. Check out "Shame", "Salina", "Murder in the City" and "Left on Laura, Left on Lisa" Oh yeah, have I mentioned I'm going to see them tomorrow?

1.) My Morning Jacket
THE Jacket, as I like to refer to them, has been on top of my list since I saw "One Big Holiday" live for the first time. MMJ has something for everyone. Country fans, rap fans, blues fans, jazz fans but most of all...ROCK fans. If you ever have a chance to see them in concert...do it...you won't be disappointed. Songs to hear: "Mahgeetah", "Wordless Chorus", "Bermuda Highway" and "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream, Pt. 2"


There you have it...my 5 favorite current bands...currently. The top 3 are pretty set in stone...but those last two could change day to day. Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts or your favorite bands.

I'm off to get Taylor from the airport in a bit...booyah!

Song of the Day: My Morning Jacket - I'm Amazed
Beer of the Day: BBC - Dark Star Porter

No comments: