Monday, April 27, 2009

1st Annual Micro Mini Marathon...

So as you guys know this past Saturday was the first annual Micro Mini Marathon and let me say, it was a blast.

We ended up with 18 participants which was just below my goal of 20, but still something to brag about. In addition, with the help of some outside donations, we were able to raise $190 for Day Spring, which was well beyond my goal of $100 bucks.

Everyone was able to complete the brutal 3.1 mile course and while the person who finished first will receive no prize or name mention, it should be noted what activities people performed while running. There were jump ropes, bubbles, yo-yos, trivia cards, basketballs, water guns, paddleball, baseball gloves, bubble gum, etc. Some of my favorites included Dude as the official photographer of the event (photos will be posted soon), Lauren and Olivia who walked like runway models and Lautaro who played himself in chess (magnetic board). However, the best had to go to Cullen, who sold corndogs while walking the 3.1 miles. He had 36 of them, sold 4, and ended up being crowned the winner of the first ever Micro-Mini-Marathon.

After the race we all headed to O'Shea's, which was a great time (Even if they may have forgotten we were coming), we ate and drank, but mostly we talked about next year's Micro-Mini and ways to improve it.

So with one year under my belt, I'm going to use better planning and better advertising in order to accomplish our goal of 10x in '10! That's right we're shooting for 10x the participants next year, which may seem ridiculous...but nothing is impossible.

Also, I've decided that the ultimate goal is to make this an official Derby Festival Event...I'm thinking it will take 4 years tops.

Oh well, I had a great time and I'm looking forward to next year. I also want to give a big thanks to those 17 other brave souls who participated and will go down in history as one of the original runners in the soon to be epic Micro-Mini-Marathon.

Have a great Monday kids...It's DERBY WEEK!!!!

Song of the Day: Dan Auerbach - My Last Mistake
Beer of the Day: BBC - Dark Star Porter

No comments: