Thursday, May 27, 2010

Top 5 Beatles Moments....

Abbey Road on the River has officially started. Instead of going on my yearly rant about why the Beatles are so amazing...I'm going to list the 5 best Beatles moments of my life. Basically, to be involved in the discussion for the list it just has to be something that occurred in my life that has something to do with the Beatles.

5.) Abbey Road on The River Sing-A-Long (May 2006)
2006 was the first time I attended Abbey Road on the River. Mom, Ben and I got a hotel room at the Galt House and it was awesome. After spending all day rocking and rolling, we headed up to the room...but in the lobby people began to gather around a piano. Soon, about 100 people, some performers with guitars, others just fans armed with their voices, began to sing the songs of the Beatles. It went on for several hours until about 4 a.m. Now the "Late night Sing a longs" are advertised as part of the festival, but being a part of the impromptu jam session was something I'll always remember.

4.) Singing "Imagine" with Brian Brody and a crowded bar in Dublin, Ireland. (Late May 2008)
This is Brian Brody and he is a bad ass. Someday, I'll devote an entire blog post to him. Anyway, he sings and plays guitar at pubs around Dublin and he's great at what he does. He can get the whole bar singing along to songs no one even knows. On my second trip to Dublin with my dad and Ben, we had spent the whole night singing, clapping and dancing along to Irish drinking songs, Beatles songs, U2 songs and more. Finally, when it was closing time Brian Brody led the bar in a sing a long of John Lennon's "Imagine" and it was awesome. Total strangers with the arms around each other, singing and drinking along.
video

3.) Walking across Abbey Road (Late May 2008)
This actually took place the same day as #4. With a few hours to kill before flying from London to Dublin Ben, Dad and I took what ended up being a hilarious and expensive cab ride to Abbey Road Studios....where I finally got to cross something off of my "Bucket list"
2.) Visiting the Cavern Club and drinking a beer at The Grapes in Liverpool (Late May 2008)
On the same trip as the previous two on this list, we also headed to Liverpool for a day. It was incredible. We headed to Mathew Street where the Beatles "grew up" and saw the club they used to play in and the bar they used to drink at. Honestly, the Cavern Club is the coolest place I've ever been in my entire life. Another check on the bucket list too!
1.) Seeing Paul McCartney in Concert (May 5, 1993)
For my 7th birthday my Mom got me tickets to see Paul McCartney in Cincinnati at Riverfront stadium. I remember opening the tickets and not knowing what they were. I then remember how excited I was when she explained to me what was going to happen. I remember buying a tshirt while crossing the bridge into Cincinnati and waiting in traffic. I remember the amount of people there, I remember the light show and performance that accompanied the music and I remember certain songs such as, Let it Be, Hey Jude, Yesterday and Live and Let Die. I also remember going to skyline chili after the show. Most of all, I remember it being the coolest experience ever. I had never been to a concert before that and even though I've been to lots of great shows since...nothing will ever top it...except maybe seeing Paul again.

An item crossed off the bucket list before I even made a bucket list.

I actually found the setlist on line...
  1. "Drive My Car"
  2. "Coming Up"
  3. "Looking for Changes"
  4. "Jet"
  5. "All My Loving"
  6. "Let Me Roll It"
  7. "Peace in the Neighbourhood"
  8. "Off the Ground"
  9. "Can't Buy Me Love"
  10. "Robbie's Bit"
  11. "Good Rocking Tonight"
  12. "We Can Work It Out"
  13. And I Love Her
  14. "Ain't No Sunshine"
  15. "Hope of Deliverance"
  16. "Michelle"
  17. "Biker Like an Icon"
  18. "Here, There and Everywhere"
  19. "Yesterday"
  20. "My Love"
  21. "Lady Madonna"
  22. "C'mon People"
  23. "Magical Mystery Tour"
  24. "Let It Be"
  25. "Live and Let Die"
  26. "Paperback Writer"
  27. "Back in the U.S.S.R."
  28. "Penny Lane"
  29. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
  30. "Band on the Run"
  31. "I Saw Her Standing There"
  32. "Mull of Kintyre" (Canada only)
  33. "Hey Jude"
What a show!

So there you go, my 5 favorite personal Beatles memories. I'm sure there are more that I'm leaving out, but those seemed to stick out a bit more than the others.

Have a great day.

Picture of the Day:
Song of the Day: The Beatles - In My Life

No comments: