Thursday, April 29, 2010

MY MORNING JACKET...

Hey gang, I'm hanging out down here in Charleston and I got a minute to do some bloggin. Last night, Taylor and I headed to Daniel Island for a My Morning Jacket concert. We got there fairly early with hopes of grabbing a good spot upfront, since our tickets were general admission. We were successful and it was amazing. Honestly, it'd been a while since I had seen the Jacket and it'd been even longer since I had seen them up close. If there is a better band on the planet...I'd like to see them.

The thing about the Jacket that makes them so good is their stage presence. The energy, the sound, the antics...it's just amazing. Also, after watching MMJ grow over the past several years, it's clear they're also becoming better musicians. Each of the five members brings a great deal to the table.

In addition, The Preservation Hall Jazz band opened for them. They were great as well. In fact, Jim James joined them for a few songs and then the whole band came out to lend a hand. The Preservation Jazz Band returned the favor by adding their sound to the Jacket's encore (after their sax player played a bad ass "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" solo). The sound of the Jazz band with the Jacket was awesome and the song selection of the encore turned the concert into a big dance party (they finished with a cover of Curtis Mayfield's "Move On Up"). Also, Jim wore a holster with Duck Hunt Guns...I don't know why, but it was awesome.

I honestly can't say enough about how much I enjoyed the show. MMJ is back and better than ever and my ears are still ringing this morning...

Preservation Hall Jazz Band

The Jacket

Jim and Carl

Their light show is crazy!

This is how close we were...I took this with my phone and it doesn't have a zoom.

This is the setlist...I didn't take this picture.

Good times indeed! Have a good rest of the week gang.

Song of the Day: My Morning Jacket - Tonight I Wanna Celebrate With You

No comments: