Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring Cleaning...

Recently I noticed that my room at my apartment was getting over run with stuff. Old magazines, books, CDs, etc. I'm a bit of a pack rat so this wasn't too unusual. However, I realized a little spring cleaning would fix this issue.

The main issue was my desk. I feel like desks tend to be places where junk collects most often. I needed to fix two things about my desk. First, I needed to find a different place to store old magazines, pieces of mail, cards, etc that I have collected. Luckily, I have a Beatles box for an end table and I was able to stash all of that stuff in there. Next, I needed to find a new home for some of my CDs. I tried moving them to different areas and nothing was working. It was frustrating.

Luckily, my next move was to head to Target and look for a shelf of some kind. While looking at Target I realized I didn't really have room for another shelving unit in my room. Finally, I decided I could get some new shelves to put my TV on...which would also give me some shelf space for CDs. I got home and assembled the shelves and they're perfect...here's a pic I took with my phone:
It's not amazing, but it's certainly better. The funniest thing is how happy it made me. The TV stand I had before was too big, too low, it didn't match and it was overall a piece of crap. I hated it from the moment I bought it, but it was cheap and easy...so I put up with it and lived with a cluttered room for a year and a half.

Overall my spring cleaning took me about 2 1/2 hours and cost me 24 dollars. It's crazy how such a small amount of time and money changed so much. I've been sitting at work all day thinking of how pumped I am to sit in my room later, drink some bourbon, listen to some music and enjoy the lack of clutter.

Less is more, people...less is more.

Have a good one.

Song of the Day: The Replacements - Can't Hardly Wait

No comments: