Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Favorite Freedom Hall Moment, pt. 1...

With the Cards set to play their last game in Freedom Hall on Saturday, I've decided to dedicate the rest of this week's blog entries to the wonderful arena who has helped shaped my entire life.

Today, I'll tell you my favorite Freedom Hall moment that had nothing to do with basketball.

On Feburary 5th 2003 the Cards were ranked 5th in the nation and set to face arch rival Cincinnati at Freedom Hall. It was a big game and luckily my Mom was able to score 4 tickets that were only about 8 rows from the floor. I called my buddies Tom and Todd and we all headed to the Hall for the game.

We got to the game and the crowd was rocking. While we were all into the game, Todd, Tom and I were a bit distracted because we soon noticed that there was a very attractive 20 something lady sitting behind us. The three of us were yelling at refs and cheering loudly and the girl behind us soon joined in and began flirting with us big time. (I realize this sounds pathetic, but we were 15 year old dudes...any attractive female that talked to us...we fell in love with. ) Needless to say, we were enjoying her flirtation.

That's when the magic happened.

It's really awesome to sit so close to a game, the players are gigantic, you can hear the players and coaches talk, you feel so close to the action, etc. But those tickets are very expensive...and we were about to find out why.

During halftime the National Champion LadyBirds came out to perform. They've been National Champs like a million times in a row, and yeah...they're not ugly:
Once again, Tom, Todd and I were having a blast.

The LadyBirds began their routine and they were wearing some rather tight fitting tube tops. They were moving and shaking and bouncing and then...

The good lookin' chick behind us stood up, pointed and yelled,

"HER BOOB IS OUT!"

Sure enough, the Lady Bird on the end had let her left breast pop completely out of her top. WE WENT CRAZY!

I mean you can imagine the reaction from three 15 year old boys. The best part is that the lower level of seats in Freedom Hall is notorious for being occupied by an abundance of not-so rowdy old people. But, even they had to give a laugh at our reaction.

Here's the real kicker, though. She finished her routine before fixing it! That my friends is not only why those seats cost so much, but it's also the reason the LadyBirds are like 10 time national champions. I'm mean that's dedication.

The Cards went on to beat Cincinnati behind 8 three pointers from Freshman Francisco Garcia. After the game we waited around and I had brought a sign, which made ESPN, and I had it signed by Rick Pitino and Francisco Garcia. For the record, my sign said...

E
xpect
Some
Pitino
Net-cutting

Bad-ass...I know! It's hanging in the bar-room at my apartment.

It was a great night all around and as we were walking out my mom said to us, "What was your favorite part of the game?" All of us laughed and said, "the boob!" However, then Tom (I think) paused for a moment and so wisely said, "No, the hot chick pointing out the boob!"

Todd and I concurred.

Todd and Tom don't live in Louisville anymore, so we don't go to games together. But, the legend of "the boob" lives on. We talk about it often when we get together and every time the LadyBirds take the court for their halftime performance I laugh a bit to myself and think how wonderfully immature we were and how great that memory of Freedom Hall has become.

More Freedom Hall stuff tomorrow. Have a good night gang!

Song of the Day: Blink 182 - What's My Age Again?

No comments: