Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dustin' off the ol' ball glove...

When I was younger I loved playing baseball. In fact, I just loved baseball in general. As I've gotten older, my love of baseball has dwindled. However, I've re-gained some of my baseball passion this spring. Some of it has to do with the fact that UofL is crazy good at baseball, some of it has to do with the excitement surrounding Jason Heyward at Braves Spring Training, but most of it has to do with the fact that I'm starting a softball team.

For quite sometime I've wanted to play on a softball team and this year some of my buds and I have put that plan into action. This morning I went over and signed up for the Men's C league at Seneca Park. I'm totally pumped.

Here are the main reasons that I am so pumped:

1.) I get to be active.
- I simply have to exercise more. I'm not fat, I'm not unhealthy...but it's a slippery slope and there's no reason for me to be so lazy. Also, I just like playing sports. My fitness will also be helped by Volleyball which begins in about 2 weeks.

2.) Sunflower seeds.
- I love sunflower seeds, but if you're not playing baseball/softball...it's tough to find a time to eat them. I plan on averaging a bag a game.

3.) The Dugout.
- More than any other sport, baseball lends itself to some good ol' fashioned camaraderie. When you're in the dugout there is a lot of down time, so there's lots of talking, trying to spit in things, etc. When I stopped playing baseball the shenanigans in the dugout were what I missed most.

4.) Beers after the game.
- It's the spring/summer so after the game there will be plenty of time to head to a nearby watering hole and grab some beers and some wings with the team. When I was younger our baseball team would go to Hooters after big wins. It was fun and there wasn't even any beer involved. I imagine beer will make the post game meal more enjoyable.

Also, I'm dedicating this season to Bobby Cox. The Braves skipper is calling it quits after the season and it breaks my heart. However, what better why to honor a man who represents all that is right in baseball, than by getting together with your buds to play some ball and drink some beers? This one's for you Bobby!
Get out your gloves and put on your caps, gang...it's time to play ball!

Song of the Day: John Fogerty - Centerfield

No comments: