Thursday, January 14, 2010

"The Shopping Zone"

When I shop...I do so in a hurry. It doesn't matter if I'm at Target, Kroger or the mall. I don't know why I do it, but I do. There is nothing wrong with this type of shopping mentality. I get in, get what I need and I get out. It's fast, easy and painless (unless people don't know how to use the U-Scans). Basically, I get into what I call, "The Shopping Zone."

"The Shopping Zone" is when my one and only focus is locating and grabbing the next thing on my list. I move through the store like a running back and I dodge and ignore anyone and everything in my way. I actually like it because it's like a game. Every trip to the store is a competition between myself and myself to see how fast I can get out of there.

Anyway, I've noticed a problem with "The Shopping Zone" and it's occurred twice in the last few weeks. When I'm in the zone, I pay no attention to the people's faces that I am zooming past. I know there are people there, but I just maneuver past them as fast as possible. As you can imagine, sometimes there are other people that I know at the store. Old friends, relatives, co-workers, there's no telling who you might run into. Still, when I'm in the zone...I pay no attention to anyone and I often walk past people I know...it makes me look like an ass.

Here's an example: The other day I was wanting to grab the ingredients to make some chili. I grabbed a cart and started going around grabbing everything I need. While I went from ground beef to the shredded cheese my friend Lindsey saw me and said "Hey Brian!" I looked up and was pretty puzzled to see her there. I also wondered how long I had been looking at her and how many times she had to say my name.

You see, the problem with all of this is that when I do see people I know...I'm caught so completely off guard that it takes me a minute to realize who that is and what's happening. I mean I had seen Lindsey like a week earlier and she's my friend so it's not like I didn't recognize her. However, I felt totally out of it while talking to her because my mind was still focused on getting the cheese for my chili and getting out the door.

The same thing happened the next time I was in the grocery when I ran into Catherine from college. She said Hi and I was totally startled.

Alright, this is a lot of rambling...but basically here's my main concern. I don't want people to think I'm a jerk or that I don't like them when I see them in the store. It's not that I don't care to see them or that I don't have time for them...it's just that I'm in the zone and our conversation is messing with my time. I know the easy solution would be to slow down and actually look at people in the grocery...but I'm not sure I can help it...I get in the zone as soon as I enter a store.

Anyway, I realize this is all very weird and pointless...but I just wanted you guys to know that if I look you directly in the eyes while I'm shopping and I walk right past you...it's not that I hate you...it's because I'm in the Zone. Also, if you stop me and I seem a little rude/stand offish while in the store...it's not because I don't care to talk to you...it's because I got to get the cheese and get out of the store so I can beat my old time.

Glad we could clear all of that up.

Song of the Day: Jack Johnson - Symbol in My Driveway

No comments: