Wednesday, December 23, 2009

On Christmas...

It's been well documented on here that I love Christmas. From the songs, to the movies, to the presents, what's not to love? However, the reason I love Christmas so much has changed as I've gotten older.

I'll be honest, when I was younger my favorite thing about Christmas was getting presents...in fact I still love getting presents. But, once my older brother went away to college, Christmas changed for me.

When Ben went away, I loved Christmas so much because it meant he was home for 2 weeks or so. Not only was he home, but he didn't have anything to do...so we got to hang out large amounts of the time and play video games, watch movies, etc. It was awesome having him around.

Then, once Ben was set to move back to Louisville...I moved to Danville. So Christmas was once again wonderful because I got to come home and be with family and friends and enjoy being home.

Finally, now I've moved back home...but Taylor is away for most of the year. Not at Christmas though. She's home now and she will be for almost 2 more weeks. It's wonderful.

Christmas is so great to me because I get to be with all my loved ones. Even my Aunts, Uncles and cousins who I don't see nearly enough, on christmas...we're all together and happy (even if I have to deal with some UK fans). For a few days, we're all in good spirits and anything that may have caused friction suddenly doesn't seem to matter.

Growing up and going to Catholic School our teachers always drilled it into our brains that Jesus was the reason for the season and it's the birth of Jesus that's the true meaning of Christmas. While, I agree that's true...I honestly think Christmas has a different meaning to everyone. For me, Christmas means being surrounded by loved ones, celebrating life and just being happy.

So, while the presents, songs, movies and cookies all make the season more fun...for me, it's the people that make it my favorite time of the year.

I'm off now to go enjoy my favorite stretch of days in the whole year. I hope each and everyone of you enjoy the next few days. Be safe and be happy!

And finally, I'd like to wish you all a very:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Song of the Day: Joy To The World

No comments: