Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Top 5: Rappers

Today is an awesome day. Taylor is winging her way from Charleston to Louisville as I type. The weather outside is what I consider to be a perfect day. Plus, Taylor and I get to go to the Cards' b-ball game tonight! Needless to say, I'm one happy camper.

Another reason I'm so happy is that basketball is getting ready to swing into full effect. The NBA started last night, The Cards have an exhibition tonight and I'm joining a fantasy basketball league for the first time ever. Basketball is my favorite sport...and I'm very excited about that.

In addition, I like basketball because during basketball season I always listen to more rap music then I normally do...which is good because I've always loved rap. I think the reason I like rap so much is because of my ability to relate to the lyrics of most rappers. I mean when you think of me and Lil' Wayne...we're pretty much one in the same. Sure I don't rap, I've never done drugs and I don't carry guns with me...but other then that Wayne and I are identical.

Kidding! Actually, I like rap because I can't relate to most of it...at all. However, I like the talent and skill it takes to be good at rapping. I also like the beat that comes with rap music. I also like hearing about the kind of struggles and problems that I will never ever have to deal with. So yeah, I like rap.

To celebrate my love of rap, here are my 5 favorite rappers. This isn't an all-time list, or a current list...it's just a list of 5 rappers I really like. Rap groups aren't allowed (sorry Outkast and Jurassic 5).

5.) Lupe Fiasco
Lupe is my favorite rapper of the last few years. His name alone would probably get him a spot on the top 10 list.
Favorite songs: "Hip-Hop Saved My Life", "Daydreamin'", "Shining Down"

4.) Common
A lot of Common's stuff is pretty hit or miss with me, but when it hits...it's hard to beat.
Favorite Songs: "Be", "The Light", "Universal Mind Control"

3.) Kanye West
As a person Kanye sucks. As a rapper, I love him. The College Dropout might be my favorite rap album ever. His last album might be my least favorite album ever.
Favorite Songs: "Through The Wire", "Get 'Em High", "All Falls Down"

2.) 2pac
There will never be a rapper that I can relate to less than 2pac. For that, I love him.
Favorite Songs: "Pour Outta Little Liquor", "2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted", "I Get Around"

1.) Jay-Z
I really hated Jay-Z when the song "Big Pimpin" came out. However, then he released The Blueprint and everything was alright...because that album is phenomenal.
Favorite Songs: "Heart of the City (Ain't No Love)", "My 1st Song", "Takeover"


Go Cards!

Song of the Day: OutKast - ATLiens

No comments: