Monday, October 12, 2009

Teamwork & Competition

I had a wonderful weekend...celebrated Ben and Megs bar results on Friday. Played (if you can call it that) in the family golf scramble and saw some old college friends on Saturday. Saw UofL actually win a football game. Got to talk to Taylor again.

However, the best part of my weekend was a bit unexpected. Last night I got to sub on Ben's volleyball team for the season ending tournament...and it was a blast.

I've been filling in for them for the past few weeks, but we only played one time because the rest were all forfeits one way or another. So, last night was really my introduction to the team.

The first thing I noticed (besides how numb my feet were in the cold sand) was how much I miss playing competitive sports. I play basketball once a week and I often play racquetball with my dad...but those two activities don't give me the chance to be as competitive as I would like to be, plus the "team" aspect isn't as apparent. Sure we have teams at Basketball, but they switch throughout the night so it's just not the same. Also, when you play against family and friends...it makes you look like an ass if you get too into it (which I've done a few times).

But last night, man...I can't stop thinking about how much fun I had. We made the championship of the tournament and had to beat the other team twice due to double elimination rules. I have to admit, after they waxed us earlier on in the night, I had my doubts about our ability to compete with them. I was wrong. Our team stepped up and played really well. I've always loved volleyball for several reasons...but one is the fact that great effort is easy to see. Everyone of our players left it out there. We dove to save points, we flew around the court trying to pick-up the other's miss hits. We congratulated each other after good plays and picked each other up after bad ones. It was awesome...a feeling I haven't experienced in years.

In the end we were able to force a second game with the other team...but came up about 6 points short in the final. However, the important thing I got from all of this...is how much I miss being on a team and playing sports. I played sports year round when I was younger and it never really hit me until last night how much I miss it. I love the camaraderie of playing on a team, I love the sportsmanship, gamesmanship and excitement that comes with competing. Volleyball is the ultimate team sport because you have to play together to win. A great set, a diving save, etc...all the plays we made last night had to be done together.

I realize I'm making this seem like the super bowl and in reality it wasn't anything close to that. But, the important thing is that it was an absolute blast. Hopefully, I can snag a permanent spot on their team in the spring...if not I'm going to have to join a softball league or something...because I need to be part of a team and I need to compete. It brings out the best in me.

Side note: There are no words to describe how sore I am today. Hurling yourself around a freezing pit of sand for 3 hours will leave you hating life the next day.


Song of the Day: Wilco - I'll Fight
Beer of the Day: Breckenridge - Autumn Ale

2 comments:

Leslie Hast said...

I don't like beer of the day because I don't like beer. GRE word of the day was fun and educational.

And count me in for No Shave November.

Brian said...

Thanks for the input...I look forward to see how your beard will come in.