Monday, August 17, 2009

Monday Pet Peeve

Hola Amigos. Everyone have a good weekend? Mine was just dandy. We had a great time in Indy, eating too much, drinking some bourbon and beer, playing cards. Nothing too fancy, but a good time indeed.

Since I'm super tired today, and when I'm tired I'm irritable, I thought I'd share with you another pet peeve of mine.

I hadn't heard this in a long time, but last night I overheard some winner at Ben's volleyball game talking about what a great time he had this weekend and how he visited his buddy down in...

"Lex-Vegas"

I mean really? That has to be one of the lamest sayings of all time.

For those of you who have been fortunate enough to never hear this expression, it's basically just a way of making a city sound "cooler" by adding "Vegas" to the end of it's name.

The two main perpetrators of this terrible slang saying are Nashville and Lexington. I'm not a huge fan of either city as is, but I will say that I like them alright. However, the moment I hear someone refer to either of them as "Nash-Vegas" or "Lex-Vegas" I just cringe and attempt to control my anger.

I mean I've never been to Las Vegas, but it looks pretty flippin' sweet. Trying to steal some of Las Vegas' awesomness by adding Vegas to your city's name is just lame.

Oh well, it's not a huge thing...it's just something that gets on my nerves. I think it mainly gets on my nerves because the people who usually say these things are not people I generally like.

Sigh...Just another notch on the pet peeves belt.

For the record, I've never heard anyone say "Lou-Vegas" in reference to Louisville. I'm sure it's happened, but I've never heard it. I think it's probably because it sounds to much like "Lou Bega" the man responsible for the hit Mambo #5 and nobody wants to think about that guy.

Have a good Monday all.

Song of the Day: Wolfmother - Joker & The Thief
GRE Word: Approbation - An expression of approval or praise

No comments: