Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Centre Dear

The other day my Grandma's neighbor was talking about how his daughter is having a tough time figuring out which college to attend. He mentioned a few she was looking at, WKU, UK, etc. and then he said, "She also is thinking about Centre." Immediately my eyes lit up and I began to go on and on about Centre and how much it means to me. I think I might have overwhelmed him a bit...but no matter how I tried, I couldn't get across how much I love Centre College.

By far the worst part of graduating from college is knowing that you'll never get to go back. Sure I see my friends from Centre a few times a year and I even make the trip to Danville every once in a while...but it's not the same.

Taylor and I talked about missing Centre for about 45 mins last night before we decided to quit before one of us started crying (it would have been me). We talked about what we missed, laughed at funny things that happened...but more then anything, we just sat there in a mixture of sadness and happiness while thinking that the years we spent at Centre were probably the best of our lives. That's not to say I don't enjoy my life now or that I won't enjoy my life in the future...but Centre gives you something that you can't get anywhere else.

For three years of my life (4 for most) I was able to live in a tiny little community with my best friends. Sure I missed my family and my other friends who weren't there, but we made do with what we had...and soon our friend group became more and more like a family (I realize that sounds super sappy...but it's true). Unlike bigger schools, Centre keeps everyone close. None of my friends lived further than 300 yards away from my apartment senior year. It was cozy, it was convenient and it was special.

***Program notice: This post is going to have to be extended for another day. I just wrote about 6 more paragraphs on why I love Centre so much and I deleted them....it wasn't good enough. So I'm going to leave you with this much of the post and I'm going to postpone my Centre love letter for another day. I don't mean to be dramatic about all of this, but this is the kind of thing that needs to be better prepared...I'm sorry to be such a tease.

So, I'll leave you with this today. I love Centre College, everyone I know that has gone to Centre feels the same way. Sure we all whined and complained about it from time to time, but after being away for more than a year I can honestly say that to me...Centre College is the greatest place in the entire world. You don't just go to Centre and come away satisfied, you go to Centre and fall in love with the place. I'll be paying student loans back until I'm about 35 years old...and I don't care...it was worth every penny and then some. If you know someone thinking about attending Centre in the near future, encourage them to do it. It's expensive, but like I said...it's worth 50x the price (socially and academically).

Alright gang, I'll be back in the near future with a more organized way to tell you all why I love Centre so much.

Have a good'un.

Song of the Day: Old Crow Medicine Show - Wagon Wheel
GRE Word: Insipid - Lacking zest or excitement; dull

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I couldn't agree more, Brian. When I die, I hope heaven is actually just Centre with no homework...and free/unlimited alcohol.