Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Blah Blah Blah...

It's recently come to my attention that I have a problem. Not a serious problem, but a rather annoying problem. The problem it seems...is that I talk a whole lot. Now I wouldn't say that I always talk a lot or that I am super pompous or annoying when I do it, but there are times when I think to myself, "My God, shut the hell up, Brian!"

This may not be that big of a problem, no one (except maybe Taylor and/or Ben) has ever told me I talk a lot, so maybe it's all in my head. However, I hate people that talk a lot. It's one of my biggest turn offs. I mean we've all been there when somebody just gets going and won't shut up. I don't want to be "that" guy.

Now then, I've noticed two things about my talkability. The first is that it occurs more often when I drink. I, as do most people, loosen up when I drink....which leads to massive amounts of talking. I don't have more thoughts or opinions when I drink, I just feel like everyone should know what I'm thinking. In the words of Mike Birbiglia, it's like my filter is a drunk little league coach and every time I have an idea or thought it's just: "BATTER UP!!! COME ON, LET'S GET UP THERE AND TAKE SOME CUTS!" No warm up, no filter, no nothing.

The second thing I've noticed about my blabber mouth is that I can always tell when I'm talking too much...but I can't make myself stop. I mean I'll be in the middle of a story or something and I will think to myself, "Seriously, no one cares...STOP TALKING" But for whatever reason I just can't stop talking.

So, here is the solution...and it's going to be a team effort. Not only am I going to try that whole listening thing more, but also I'm going to try to be more aware of the amount of words coming out of my mouth and I want you guys to inform me as soon as I say one word too many. Don't nod along and act like your listening, just give me some signal that shows me it's time to stop. We'll all be better off because of it.

This blog post could end up being a total waste. Maybe none of you have ever been bothered by my talking. Or, maybe most of you are sitting there thinking, "Thank God! I can't believe it took him this long to realize it." Regardless I need everyone's help fixing this possible problem...because I don't want to become the next Blabby McTalksalot. That guy is the worst.

Have a good Wednesday everyone.

Song of the Day: My Morning Jacket - Wordless Chorus
GRE Word: Prattle - To talk or chatter idly or meaninglessly; babble or prate.

No comments: