Wednesday, June 24, 2009

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I had planned on having a special one year anniversary post today...but it'll have to wait.

The reason it will have to wait is that the USA soccer team just pulled off a gigantic upset...beating defending Euro champion Spain 2-0 in the Confederations Cup semi final.

I like soccer, I do...but for the longest time I've had trouble getting into soccer. I get way into the World Cup, but the rest of the time I just feel like a poser. Alot of it has to do with the fact that the MLS is terrible, but it's mostly do to the fact that I like Basketball, Baseball and Football so much better.

However, I still love when the Americans pull off some upset. I can remember in 2002 running around my house at like 4 a.m. after Brian McBride scored to put the USA up 1-0 in the World Cup round of 16. Last world cup I got just as intense. But, as soon as the World Cup is over...it's back to being just a casual fan.

However, after today and a absolutely amazing performance, I think I can stop feeling like such a bandwagon fan. I always root for them when they play...they just don't get the same publicity that College Basketball gets. Also, it's USA's soccer team. It's not like I'm jumping on the Lakers' bandwagon. I'm an American, so I reserve the right to cheer my face off for any team with USA on their jerseys.

Anyway, it was an exciting win and now we get to play Brazil in what you would think would be a blowout...but we just BEAT SPAIN! So who knows?

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Song of the Day: Lee Greenwood - Proud to be an American
Beer of the Day: Pabst Blue Ribbon

No comments: