Thursday, June 04, 2009

Hey Atlanta Braves...Stop Pissing Me Off

I'm on a bit of a baseball kick right now. It's summer, the Cards are still in the tourney, I bought a wiffle ball bat (only $3) and "The Sandlot" (Only $5) at Target last night...it just feels like baseball time....except the Braves apparently hate me.

Now then, when I was younger...from April to October I was obsessed with baseball. I played it, I watched it, I dreamt about it...it was who I was. Also, while I was growing up I followed the Atlanta Braves. I watched their games on TBS all the time and I knew the entire roster by heart. As I've gotten older I've followed the Braves less and less each year, but I still cheer for them because I've been a Braves fan for as long as I can remember. I loved all the players Dave Justice, Chipper Jones, Fred McGriff, Ron Gant, Mark Lemke, Javy Lopez, Andruw Jones, Greg Maddux, Jeff Blauser, Terry Pendelton, etc. While Dave Justice and Chipper were always my favorite players, the two players on the Braves that I always respected the most were Tom Glavine and John Smoltz. They were to the Braves what Ernie Banks was to the Cubs and Mickey Mantle was to the Yankees. They were the glue to the team. The veterans.

Anyway, I'm off track here. The reason I'm talking about the Braves today is because they've just about pissed me off to the point where I'm gonna find a new team...here's why. They are getting rid of all the people who actually give a damn about the braves.

When the Braves traded Dave Justice I cried, when they let Greg Maddux go I was a little upset, but it was not too bad. Next Javy Lopez was gone, soon they did they unthinkable and traded away Tom Glavine. Yeah, this good lookin' son of a gun:
Worst of all...they traded him to the Mets. Ugh! That was bad, but we still had Smoltzy and Chipper so I was able to stay attached to the team in some way. Well, soon Smoltz got hurt and then Andruw Jones got the axe too. It was pretty much just Chipper the last few years. I like Chipper, but I miss my old guys.

So yeah, the past few years have been a bit of a bummer as I try to get to know the new set of Braves players. However, this off season I was greeted with some great news! Smoltz looked to be pretty healthy and the Braves were bringing back Tom Glavine! Woo-hoo, these guys are past their prime but they CARE about the Braves and they are still damn fine pitchers. Hell, just having them around might help the younger guys learn about the Braves tradition. However, my happiness was short lived. The Braves refused to re-sign Smoltz (for a measly a tiny amount of cash) and now after Tom Glavine threw 6 scoreless innings in a minor league rehab start the other night...they released him just as he was set to rejoin the club. You know why they did? They say performance...but it was money. It always is...and it sucks.

So instead they called up a minor league pitcher and traded away three great prospects for a crummy outfielder from Pittsburgh. Apparently the Braves made this move to show that there is a new way of life in the Braves organization and it starts with youth. Will here is a little tip for the GM. If you want to grow as a young team, maybe you should hang on to all of your young players throughout the years when they start showing promise (I'm looking at you Jermaine Dye, Mark DeRosa, Jerrod Saltalamachia, Brian Giles, etc.) and stop keeping the crappy "young guys" (Jeff Francour) and stop trading the good young guys for lazy "all-stars" who don't give a crap about the Braves (Mark Texiera, J.D. Drew). Enough is enough.

Sigh, this is about as long and ramble heavy as I can get. If you didn't understand anything of what I just said, I'm sorry...Here's the Spark notes: I used to be a huge Braves fan until they decided to get rid off all my favorite players. Then they signed Tom Glavine again, but traded John Smoltz. Then they let Glavine go. Now I am pretty friggin' pissed at the Braves.

I guess the only thing to do is this...Go Braves! Chop to the Top!

I'm still a fan, a sad...hurt...loyal fan!

Plus, at least I'm not a Cubs fan.

Song of the Day: John Fogerty - Centerfield
Beer of the Day: Stroh's (35th Ann. of 10 cent beer night in Clev.)

1 comment:

Benjamin said...

They also have that pansy who faked like he was hit by a pitch, even though the replay showed it clearly hit his bat. Did you see that? He sat on the ground and acted all dazed until they gave him first base.