Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What's the Deal with...

people getting pissed when you honk at them?

This is something that has bothered me for a while, but last night I really got pissed.

Chris was in town from Boston last night so we decided to go grab a bite to eat. We're stopped at a red light and the car in front of us is attempting to turn right, as are we. The car doesn't get a chance to go right while the light is red, but once the light turns green he doesn't go either. Chris waited at least two full seconds and then gave the dude a nice little, "wake up" honk. I didn't think anything of it, sometimes I am not paying as much attention as I should while I'm driving and I appreciate a nice little honk to help me out.

However, the dude and his friends in the banged up civic in front of us clearly didn't like the honk. I know this because soon after the honk there was a nice middle finger sticking out of the sun roof. Then the moron in the back seat sticks his head out of the sun roof and sticks his tongue out at us, well he might have been trying to spit at us...but I think he soon realized that it was friggin' 10 degrees last night and he had his head hanging out of a car and realized it was too cold to spit.

Anyway, here's the point...why do people take such offense to being honked at? Very rarely do I see someone getting honked at who truly doesn't deserve it. We all do things we shouldn't while we are driving and sometimes we get caught napping and we need our driving neighbors to get out attention and help us out. Don't be senor macho solo and try to act like you've never made a mistake before and you're going to kick some ass because someone made a beeping sound in your direction. I mean is it the beep that pisses them off? If people would prefer, I'll just start rolling down my window a screaming, "Hey dilweed, get off your damn phone and drive your car before (Insert name of my Jeep) and I run over the top of you!" I mean would that be better? I would much rather be beeped at as opposed to being called a dilweed and being run over by a car, but if that's not what others want let me know.

It's a small thing...but it's one that irritates me. So next time you get honked at while driving, thank the person who alerted you of your shortcoming. Unless you didn't deserve it, then by all means flick them off and try to spit on their car...those horn beeping bastards.

Song of the Day: Belle and Sebastian - If She Wants Me
Beer of the Day: Left Hand - Sawtooth Ale

No comments: