Thursday, January 22, 2009

What ever happened to nicknames?

Before we start let me tell you how this came up...

Last night Lautaro and I were watching the UofL game and by UofL game I mean the T-Will dunk contest that he forgot to invite anyone else to...See:

Anyway, I started thinking that T-Will needed a nickname. I mean surely the school that brought you this guy:
can come up with a nickname for T-Will, a guy who is just as good at dunking as Griff. But then it hit me, T-Will is his nickname....his name is Terrence Williams.

I mean the media calls him T-Will, his coach calls him T-Will...that's his nickname. While I love T-Will and all the crazy-awesome things he does...his nickname represents a sad part of sports for the last 5 years or so...lazy nicknames

When I was growing up nicknames were something you earned, you didn't just take two parts of your name and shove them together to make a nickname (Thanks A-Rod...you started it you jerk). I mean in Basketball alone we had The Admiral, The Round Mound of Rebound, The Human Highlight Film, The Glove, The Worm, The Mailman, The Reign Man, etc.

David Robinson was the Admiral because he was in the Navy and patrolled the paint. Charles Barkley was the Round Mound of Rebound because he was great at pulling down boards...and he was fat. Human Highlight Film? Dominique Wilkins for his mind blowing dunks.

Hell even Baseball players, who have the least athletic ability of all pro athletes, had cool nicknames...The Crime Dog, Big Hurt, The Big Unit, etc.

I used to love collecting trading cards and getting a "nickname" card. It was so cool because it was like these players were two separate people. Karl Malone was just a normal guy off the court, but once he laced them up he was the Mailman...and you best get out of his way while he's delivering!

There are a few good nicknames still, The Big Ticket, King James, The Matrix...but it's just not the same.

I don't know why this bothers me so much...Maybe it's because I think T-Will is so good he deserves a really cool nickname and trading card to match? Maybe I've been playing too much NBA Jam and it's taking me back to my youth? Maybe players today just don't deserve nicknames? Sadly, I think it's just another way to show the laziness of our generation. We don't want to say Alex Rodriquez or Terrence Williams because it takes too long...but instead of giving players a nickname that reflects their play on the court or field we just take their first initial and the first syllable of their last name and we try to pass it off as a nickname...it's just sad.

I miss cool nicknames, I want them back...who's with me?

Just for the record, I still love T-Will and it's not his fault people call him that...but I'm gonna think of a new nickname for him.

Enjoy your Thursdays.

Song of the Day: Fuel - Shimmer
Beer of the Day: Sierra Nevada - Pale Ale

1 comment:

Todd said...

Toothless laughing boy... Done!