Friday, January 16, 2009

Super Nintendo

This was already shaping up to be a pretty sweet weekend...then I did something to make it an awesome weekend...I borrowed the Super Nintendo from Ben.

Somewhere along the line Ben got full custody of the super Nintendo and the regular Nintendo that the two of us shared growing up. I was always ok with it because I have a Playstation 2 and a Nintendo Wii of my own. However, recently I've had a crazy urge to play Super Nintendo...really for two reasons:
NBA JAM

and Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball

These are by far my favorite video games of all time.

I've always preferred sports games instead of strategy games...and these two games are, in my opinion, perfect sports games. They're fast, they're easy to play...and people get knocked around as if they are cartoons.

Every year video games get more and more realistic which is cool and impressive...but not fun to me. Parts of real life are kind of boring...so why would I want to play a game that mimicked real life so closely? No one wants to shoot free throws in a basketball video game...just like no one wants to analyze every pitch in a baseball video game...Good news, in NBA Jam there are no fouls. In Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball there are no curve balls or knuckle balls...just fast pitches, slow pitches and outside or inside pitches.

When I was younger I played Ken Griffey and NBA Jam non-Stop. Sure there were other games along the way, but if I had a dollar...scratch that...if I had a nickel for every time I played one of those two games...I would have a crap-ton of nickels.

Technology is great in many ways (I love my Wii, don't get me wrong) But sometimes I feel technology goes too far, especially with video games...that's why this weekend, when I have some down time...I'm just gonna kick back with my Super Nintendo and reminisce about the good old days.

BOOMSHAKALAKA!

Song of the Weekend: OutKast - Aquemnini
Beer of the Weekend: New Holland - The Poet

No comments: