Wednesday, November 05, 2008

President Obama

I wasn't going to talk about the election today. I didn't really care who won. I liked both candidates and thought either one would have done just fine. I ended up voting for Barack Obama.

I'm not well informed when it comes to politics. In fact, to be honest...to say I'm adequately informed would be a better way to put it. I don't get into it much, but I know enough to carry on a conversation. However, last night as I watched the news for hours...I was proud to have voted, to have had the chance to vote and overall just to be an American.

Here's how I see it...the country is not booming right now...there are lots of problems. We could go on and on as to who is to blame...but most would blame the current president and administration. Whether that's entirely fair or not is not something I want to discuss. But, I think it's clear to see that we're in need of some kind of change. Whether a new president in general, regardless of party, would have been enough...I'm not sure. But now, we do get change. Will we get as much change as promised? Probably not, but that's the way it is. We will get a good deal of change though...and it's something I'm excited about.

After hearing John McCain's speech last night, I was a bit sad that he didn't win...that guy is one hell of an American. He's spent his life serving our country and he just wanted to do it at the highest level...it was sad to see him not reach his goal.

However, soon there after, President-elect Barack Obama stepped to the microphone in front what seemed like millions of people in Chicago's Grant Park and delivered a speech that can only be characterized as inspiring. If that didn't make you feel proud, give you goosebumps, or help calm whatever fears you may have had about the man who is going to be our President...well than I feel sorry for you.

Ever since the speech I've been thinking about why I was so inspired by that speech and I'm still not sure. But here is what I do know...last night was historic. I could spend an entire day on how wonderful it is that an african-american was elected president...but I think that fact is not being lost on anyone. What makes this election so wonderful in my mind is the fact people once again supported their candidates with such passion and energy. The last few elections have been so ho-hum in regards to hard fought campaigns that lead to a wonderful celebration by the winning party and an honorable and inspiring second place finish for the other. Last night people celebrated, they cried, they jumped up and down. My girlfriend Taylor, a die hard democrat thanks to her parents, told me she believes her reaction to Obama's win was similar to how I would react if UofL won a National Championship in basketball. I at first laughed and told her that she clearly was underestimating how important Cardinal basketball is to me. She responded that I was clearly underestimating how important President Obama was to her. She was right...and that's the best part.

This is a nation that cares strongly for athletics. In sports we all choose one side and support them till the bitter end, and afterwards we shake hands with our worthy opponents and move on. Well this was it...the biggest of games. Two top notch candidates taking each other one...giving it there all. There has to be a winner and there has to be a loser. But, the glory is that whoever the winner is...we get to have them lead our nation against the problems we all face.

I know the sports analogies are kind of lame...but, if you hate the Lakers....you're still rooting for Kobe and the dream team when they take on Spain or whoever...because he's not the Lakers player anymore...he's our player. He's playing for America.

So, to wrap up this long, adequately informed ramble about our new president....let me say this, at the end of the day, we're all Americans (even Lautaro). We have freedom, we have rights and we're the best country in the world. We're also bigger than anyone one man...no matter if his name is Barack Obama or John McCain. So these days when times are hardest and the country is facing one of its toughest challenges ever...I would hope that everyone can get behind Mr. Obama and give him the support, respect and recognition that comes with being elected The President of the United States of America. It's true that a change is coming, and hopefully it will end up being one of the best things to ever happen to our country...only time will tell.

Congratulations President Obama!


Also, in order to show just how inspired I was by last night's election I did as I always do and made an impulse online purchase...check it:
That's right...it's a tap handle for my kegerator. Because from now on when I drink...I drink with POTUS....although the kegerator is still out of order....which is ok, because he won't really be president until January.

Song of the Day: Sam Cooke - A Change is Gonna Come
Beer of the Day: Avery Brewing - Ale to the Chief

No comments: