Friday, October 17, 2008

The Great Outdoors...

Most of you probably know that I'm a bit of an outdoors man..and by that I mean I like to get drunk on patios.

I'm just kidding, I stole that joke from somewhere (I dunno where!) The truth of it is, I'm nothing of an outdoors man. Wildlife scares me, I don't like to hunt, fish or hike and I much prefer to eat food that's already cooked for me as opposed to killing and cooking my meat.

With all of this said, I do really enjoy some parts of nature. Well, it's not even nature...it's just the peacefulness that comes with it.

I once read an interview with Paul McCartney where he was talking about how he started playing the mandolin. He said, "I went for a walk one day, just to enjoy life a bit...and stopped in an instrument store." The whole story is pretty cool...but it's the that first part that's always stuck with me. Paul FREAKIN' McCartney takes walks to just enjoy life! He's a billionaire...he could have whatever he wanted...he's a BEATLE for crying out loud! But, I've always thought it was so cool for him to know that taking a walk through his foggy little British town is what helps him enjoy life.

I think about that quote often and I've learned that I have my own things I do to enjoy life...and most of them involve being outside.

The balcony at my apartment is awesome...it's cozy, it's big, it's amazing. I sit out there often...sometimes with Lautaro and others, sometimes by myself...but it's just so relaxing to sit back and enjoy the fresh air. I like to watch the trees, I like to listen to people come by, I like to look at the parts of the sky that aren't blocked by trees....I just like it. It's nice to be able to get away from work, stress, TV, whatever...even if it's just on my porch.

Camping is a lot like that for me too. I'm not an extreme camper...I bring food with me, I sleep in a nice tent...with a heater if it's too cold..it's not terribly rugged...but it's great. I love sitting around the fire...talking to whoever is with me, having a beer or two, doing whatever. It helps me relax.

I don't have a whole lot of stress in my life, it's pretty easy going...but there are times we all need to escape and while I'm not one to go hike a trail, climb a mountain or hunt an elk...I can usually find some relief in the great outdoors...even if it's just on my porch.



Also, The Cards start their quest for the 2009 NCAA Basketball Championship tonight at midnight. It's gonna happen....it's got to happen! GO CARDS!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Song of the Weekend: The Beatles - And Your Bird Can Sing
Beer of the Weekend: North Coast - Old Rasputin Imperial Stout

No comments: