Monday, September 15, 2008

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind...

As some of you might have heard, or experienced...the remnants of Hurricane Ike blew through Louisville yesterday and with winds close to 75mph...about 300,000 homes in the Louisville metro area are without power. I was lucky enough to not spend a single second without power yesterday....I was even luckier that I didn't have a tree crash through my living room...or car. Others weren't so lucky. Here are some pictures from the mess.



All of these pictures were taken within a mile of my apartment. YIKES!

It truly was an unreal site around town yesterday. Power lines looking as if they were sprayed like silly string across the road, Telephone poles snapped like toothpicks, Trees coming down like rain...it was weird to say the least. In fact while my mom and I were driving around (we actually tried to go to the movies...we got in but then the power went out) it was rare to see a stop light that was working.

While it is always frustrating when the lights go out, and sad when homes and cars are destroyed...I kind of enjoy the neighborhood element that comes along with power outages. Last night at 9 o'clock on Bardstown road, you would have thought it was Derby Eve....people were out all over the place, partying, drinking and mingling. It was great. Several times I saw neighbors sitting outside together and families playing in the front yard...it was really refreshing. In fact, I actually just sat out on my porch with a candle, some beer and my guitar for about 3 hours last night.

In a time when technology rules...it was kinda nice to just shut it all down for a while. Although, I'm sure it was a lot nicer for me knowing I had power. Oh well. Here's to a speedy cleanup!

Song of the Day: Arcade Fire - Neighboorhood #3 (Power Out)
Beer of the Day: Left Hand - Sawtooth Ale

P.S. If anyone is in the dark still and has beer that might be going bad...let me know...you are welcome to put it in my fridge...or you can at least bring it over and we can drink it! I'd hate to see beer go bad.

No comments: