Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Reminiscing over some Kool Aid

It's easy to see that lately I have been fighting off growing up. However, there are some good things about growing up...having money, early bird specials and complaining about teenagers and how ridiculous it is that they go to the movies to just hang out...those rascals! Anyway, the best thing about getting a little older is being able to reminisce about things in your past.

For me there are certain things that just trigger a memory and put me back into a particular place or time, I'm sure there are several for you too. It could be a smell, a song, or a food...but when you hear it, smell it or taste it again...it takes you right back to your past. Well in the past two days I have relived two vivid moments of my adolescence, caused by a song and a drink.

Last night...for the first time in years I made some Kool-Aid. But, it wasn't just any kind of Kool-Aid, it was the best kind...Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade! I don't know if you have ever tried this...but if you haven't get ready to live. First of all it is electric blue in color, so you know it's good! I took a sip last night and I immediately was reminded of summers when I was in grade school...which happen to be some of the best days of my life. Here is a typical day from Brian's summer vacation 1998.
11:00 - wake up, watch sportscenter 2 times, eat 3 bowls of corn pops.
1:00 - Call as many people as I knew that were within bike riding distance of my house and tell them to meet up at the park...and bring tennis balls if they had them
1:30 - Meet friends up at park and play sandlot baseball until dinner time (If we were rained out we would just go back to my house and play Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball on Super Nintendo! I often preferred a rain out!)
5:30 - Drink an entire pitcher of Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade Kool-Aid!
6:00 - Eat Dinner and convince my Mom to either let me stay over at a friend's house...but more than likely let 5 or more friends stay at our house (I was always pretty scared to spend the night).
7:00 - Get the OK from Mom after promising that nothing will get broken and certain chores will be done (For the record, those chores were often done...but by my friends after I won some money off of them by beating them in horse. They would just choose to trim the shrubs instead of paying me 5 bucks! Boo-Yah!)
8:00 - Friends come over, we swim and play Nintendo until midnight when we fall asleep and begin our cycle all over again in the morning.

Man, those were the days! College might have been a better time in my life...but in College you had to worry about grades and such, those days of summer were innocent and worry free. Actually the only worry was whether or not Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa would hit 62 home runs...now if anyone hits over 40 they are totally on steroids. 1998 was such a more simple time...and thanks to that magical blue Kool-Aid, I can re-live it every once in a while.

The other blast from the past I experienced the other night was when I played the song "The General" by Dispatch. Whenever this song comes on I think of being 16 years old and visiting my brother at College. It was here that my life changed and I learned about "real" fun. You see life is supposed to be fun, it's not a competition...it's fun for all...and if you play right everyone wins. Here Ben and his friends showed me exactly what college was about. Standing on couches, singing into broom sticks (tennis rackets, baseball bats, golf clubs and umbrellas work too), drinking when you're not supposed to, staying up until it is daylight outside and singing songs at the top of your lungs with your best friends...and a few strangers. If I didn't do that while I was in college...I would not have graduated...and I certainly wouldn't be trying to open a bar!

What things remind you of your past? For me it's Kool-Aid and Dispatch, among many others. It's so nice to remember these things and experience them again and go back to a time in your life. However, if you discover something that makes you think of the past, like a song, and soon you find yourself alone in the dark listening to "Careless Whisper" on repeat and crying because you miss your high school sweetheart so badly...well then reminiscing has back fired on you and if it lasts more than three hours...you should consult a physician immediately.

***Fan alert
With 4 days to go...we are now at 30! Additions today include Melissa, Helen, Michele and Jeanne! It's gonna happen people...and when it does...WATCHOUTNOW!

Enjoy the opening of July everybody!

Song of the Day: My Morning Jacket - Lay Low
Beer of the Day: Dogfish Head - Festina Peche

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brian - I have read your blogs. My son is into publishing blogs you should read his some time. Your mom is so proud of you boys. Kim R.