Thursday, July 03, 2008

God Bless America!

Alright people, since this is probably my last post until after the holiday weekend (since I'll be much too busy being depressed while Taylor leaves, and singing Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American" at the top of my lungs!)I thought I would talk a little bit about the good ol' United States of America and why we are the best country in the world.

Let me start by saying that I am proud to be an American, and while I may have a better shot at naming the exact track list of all 13 Beatles' albums than naming half of the amendments to the constitution, I think I am a pretty good American as well. With that said, I'm just going to list a few of my favorite things about America and tell you why they make me proud to be an American. Here we go!

1.) Cook Outs. Only in America do people of all class and race come together over a grill to celebrate glorious foods such as hot dogs, light beer, mac and cheese, baked beans, potato salad, etc. There are few things in the world as enjoyable as a summertime cookout...and you can only attend one in America (well I've never attended one in another country...how about you?)

2.) The Star Spangled Banner. Never has one song produced such powerful, proud moments...and such embarrassing and ridiculous moments as well. I went to youtube and typed in the song and here is the highest of highs and the lowest of lows for this song. This is a beautiful version by Marvin Gaye (who could probably be a reason to love America by himself)...beautiful!
Here is a rather sad version...and by sad I mean hilarious. I appreciate cops and all that they do, but they should stick to protecting the public...yikes!

3.) Hooters. Now before you think I'm a pervert...let me 'splain. I was actually at a Hooters last night after I went to Taylor's dad's softball game...and I really dislike a.) being there and b.) their food. But a Hooters restaurant in Indiana is the only place that I could have heard these two things said last night. The first is when I went to use the bathroom and there were two guys peeing next to each other and arguing about something...here's how it went down.
Drunk Guy #1: Don't you talk to me like that you piece of s***t!
Drunk Guy #2: Man shut up, you're Ruckin Fratarded! Wait no...you're Ruckin Retarded...No.. wait..
Drunk Guy #1: We're both Ruckin' Drunk I know that! Heeeee Hawwww!
They spend the rest of the time in the bathroom giggling like school girls and undoubtedly urinating on themselves and maybe each other. It was special.

The second comment I heard was this..."I was talking to a lady at my bible study who said the Sex and the City movie was terrific. " Classic. There isn't much you can do but smile at this comment...mainly because it was said as if the Sex and the City movie was sinful...which it might be.

4.) This guy:Nice right. Well that's actually my brother's friend Matt. But the simple fact that everyone probably thought that was just a normal guy, and the fact that Matt was funny/creative enough to dress up like that...well that makes me love America! Man...he must work out.

6.) Football. No not that crappy sport where they kick the ball around with their feet. I'm talking about the Football where they throw the ball and touch it all the time and try to tackle each other. I love the tailgating aspect, the over enthused fan aspect and well...I just love it all. For the record I also really like the other "football" but there is nothing American about that.

7.) Baseball. This is just America's game...minus all the foreign players. I love baseball and to tell you the truth I really don't care who is on/was on steroids. If both the pitchers and the hitters are using them...well then...game on! Kids, Drugs are bad...ummmkay!

8.) Manifest Destiny. Drink it in...It always goes down smooth!

9.) Our history. It may not be as old or as impressive as some other countries. But go to Washington D.C. sometime and tell me you don't feel proud, honored and blessed to be an American...I triple dog dare you.

10.) Freedom. Really freedom is awesome. Just think about it. Freedom allows us to do, pretty much whatever we want...minus anything against the law. My favorite part of freedom is freedom of speech...which has allowed me to create this blog and get 49 FANS!!! That's right, we had a record day yesterday with additions from: Erin, Bernie, Danni, Megan, Patrick, Andi, Kim, Julie, Scott, Jennie, Christanna, Brenda and another Kim! One more by tomorrow...it's actually going to happen...and that's why I am proud to be an American!

Happy 4th of July people....have a great weekend.

Song of the day/weekend: Jimi Hendrix - The Star Spangled Banner
Beer of the day/weekend: Pabst Blue Ribbon

No comments: