Wednesday, July 09, 2008

eBay problem

I am a frequent eBayer. I love to buy stuff off of that site because when it comes in the mail I feel like it is a mini Christmas morning. Plus, you can find all sorts of stuff...just go on there sometime and type in random things, you'll find some crazy things. However, the down side of eBay is that your are doing business with people that are all over the world. Sometimes the item is not as you expected and sometimes you end up with no item at all. Well I am in a pretty weird situation right now...

About a week ago I ordered a soccer jersey on eBay. I have bought soccer jerseys on their before and they have always turned out perfect...and they have always been much cheaper than if I had bought the item from an official team store or something. The problem is that they ship from like Taiwan and other far away lands across the globe. Well after I paid for my jersey with PayPal (an awesome tool) about a day later I got an e-mail from eBay informing me that the seller's account had been discontinued, and I should contact PayPal about getting my money back. But, within five minutes of that e-mail....I get this gem from Nan Tharat, the seller of the item.

"Dear Sir

My store had been suspended from Ebay But you don't mind ,I will be sent item to you. Please don't claim with PAYPAY, I confirm to you ,I real send to you because I have Ethic and I don't want to sin. I promise.

Thanks very much"


Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?

My first instinct was to laugh...a lot. My next instinct was to be a little sad because I may not get my sweet jersey...but then I thought, "hey this guy not only told me he was ethical, he also told me that he didn't want to sin...and he told me I didn't mind." So I decided to write him back and ask him when I should expect my jersey...that way if I didn't get it by that time or a few days after I would just call "PayPay"
His response:
"I confirm, I will be sent to you .Thanks very much"

My reaction...Sweet! Now I get a free middle eastern guy sent to me...along with the jersey!

So here is the moral of the story. I'm gonna give this guy the benefit of the doubt and say that he is going to send my jersey...or hand deliver it...but I trust that I will get it. But also, while I laughed a bit at this man's attempt to write an e-mail to me...I also have to applaud him. God knows if I tried to write him in his language I'd probably tell him things a lot worse than that he didn't mind that I was going to be sent to him so I didn't sin!

Siiiigh, I'm totally out thirty bucks aren't I?

Oh well, that's what makes eBay a special experience each and every time!

Song of the Day: Band of Horses - No One's Gonna Love You
Beer of the Day: Terrapin Rye Pale Ale

P.S. A special thanks to Leslie for giving me some help with my boot mission...I still haven't found the perfect pair...but she is totally helping and pointing me in the right direction!

3 comments:

Benjamin said...

You totally got hosed, brother. That's a thirty year-old guy in his mother's basement using your thirty bucks to update his XBox Live account.

Patrick C. said...

I'm going to have to agree with Ben on that one.

Dante said...

No way. I bet Nan's a stand-up guy. He wouldn't do anything to make Mama and Papa Tharat ashamed of him.