Thursday, June 26, 2008

Slapped in the Face

Siiiiigh, last night I was slapped in the face...by reality. Ever since I graduated I have lived in this whirlwind where I have constantly been going to Europe, or sweet My Morning Jacket concerts at Ear X-Tacy, or graduation parties, or signing up for a retirement plan. Clearly, I haven't had much time to think. Well last night I started thinking...and we all know what happens when Brian starts thinking and then thinks too much...usually either really crazy things...that often turn out fun. Or, everyone ends up on the floor in the fetal position, sucking their thumb, crying, and looking for someone to hold. Well last night was neither...I wasn't happy, I wasn't sad, I was just...how do you say it...blah!

Yesterday I was able to spend sometime with my little cousin Cullen. First of all he's a really awesome kid...he'll be 12 in August. Anyway, after hanging with him and talking to him a little bit, I realized that I am getting older. He used a few words that I had never even heard before and talked about video games, movies and other things that I could have sworn he was making up. I have always prided myself on knowing stupid things about pop-culture and ridiculous stuff, but it was clear I had missed a few things lately. Also, it was a bit harder to relate to Cullen. I've always tried to go out of my way and do things with kids younger than me, mainly because I know how stoked I was growing up when an older relative or family friend would take time out and throw the football or whatever, but last night while interacting, I realized that even though Cullen and I are still the same 10 years apart, as he gets older...he gets cooler...which in turn makes me less cool. Now it wasn't like Cullen thought he was too cool for me ( even though he totally is) or that it was super awkward between us, we still had fun...it just seemed to be a little different. Looking back on it, it's actually a cool thing because hanging out with him...even though he is 12, was a bit more like hanging out with someone closer to my own age, as opposed to a kid. There is nothing happy or sad about this...it is just weird, but also cool...but it did make me feel old.

Also, last night it began to hit home a bit that Taylor will be leaving in less than 10 days for Charleston to attend grad school. This too is a bizarre feeling. Happiness for the fact that she is following her dream of being a professor and taking a chance to move to a new state...by herself. But also sadness, for knowing that the person who I have spent the majority of my time with for the past 3+ years will be about 10 hours away for the majority of the next 2 years. It will all be fine, we'll talk daily and visit as often as we can...but all the sudden life is just very real...and I feel older by the day.

Now I realize that I'm not old. I'm 22 and I've got plenty of good times a head of me. But, it's always good to sit back and reflect on what's going on around you once in a while. If you get caught up in a whirlwind of activity it's going to be a whole lot of fun, but you may miss out on some important stuff. So, to wrap up this depressing post...I'll just say, F it! Enjoy life, don't think too much, but think enough to know what it is that you enjoy and who it is you enjoy being with.

Man, talk about a downer. I didn't mean to get all deep and such on this post. I would assume that my 14 fans read this for laughs as opposed to hearing my think out my life...but tough. It's the Life of Brian and this is what happens when I start to think too much. Somebody better find me and buy me a beer quickly, otherwise we're all gonna be curled up on the floor in a puddle of our own tears soon.

Song of the Day: Wilco - When You Wake Up Feeling Old
Beer of the Day: BBC Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout

On a side note:
I was pulling out of a gas station the other day and a nice fellow stopped to let me pull in front of him...however, this was not any regular guy...I'm 90% sure it was former UofL Cardinal Ellis Myles!!! Ellis was the starting center on the 2005 Final Four team, and it turns out that he not only was a helluva rebounder, but he is also one hell of a model American! Thanks again Ellis!

No comments: