Monday, June 16, 2008

Family Gatherings...Hugs for all mankind

So this weekend was full of family gatherings. On Friday and Saturday I had graduation parties for myself! Then on Sunday of course there was Father's Day. I had a great time, all the aunts and uncles were in from out of town and it was great to see some old family and friends. However, one thing that put a damper on the weekend is the awkwardness I experienced while saying hello and goodbye to some of these people.

You know the scenario: you see a family friend or a cousin that you know well...but aren't super close to...and you go for the uncomfortable handshake. It's awful.

I use to think that if it was a man I was gonna give them a nice firm handshake with a "how's it going?", and if it was a lady I was gonna hug her and tell her how good it was to see her. But that's all bullshit.

From this day on...it's all hugs for me. If you are A. in my family or B. invited to a party at my house (especially one for my graduation) I am probably close enough to you to give you a nice hug. I don't care if it makes some guys uncomfortable or if I get a few hands to the crotch/stomach region as I catch a "handshaker" off guard. I'm sick of feeling awkward around people who I should be closer to. The automatic hug rule is sure to make my life a little happier and I think if more people adopted this tactic...the world would be a better place. So, if you plan on seeing me out somewhere and I have met you at least twice before...you better throw those arms open, because the bri-man is coming in for a big bear hug.

Song of the Day: Billy Bragg and Wilco - Hoodoo Voodoo
Beer of the Day: Sierra Nevada - Pale Ale

Also, special thanks to Vicki, B, Will, Roy Lee and Gera for making the journey to the party!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hey Brian -

I am loving your blog!

I hope your "awkward hug" moments were not with me. Nothing but open arms from now on sweetie!!

Luv Ya,
Your cousin

Brian U said...

Jenny...you always have and always will be on my "hug" list.